Hiring a marketing team can be one of the most daunting and challenging tasks for any existing business or startup founder. Not only do you need to find people with the right skill set, but you also need to make sure that they will be a good fit for your company’s culture and values. There is a lot of contradicting advice out there and it can be difficult to know who to trust.
Some people recommend only hiring people with lots of experience, while others swear you should hire only those who are green and willing to learn. Some suggest you hire a team of generalists who can do a little of everything, while others suggest a team of specialists is ideal.
So, how do you go about hiring a marketing team that is right for your company? Here are a few tips that we will give you in this article to help you know to find a marketing team who knows how to develop sales and marketing skills for your business.
Tips On How To Find A Marketing Team
1. Invest In Teachable Marketing Team
This might take some time but invest in people who are willing to learn and ready to work on developing skills. You don’t want to end up with a team of people who are not willing to learn or improve on their skills because this will have a great impact on you and your entire business/company.
A teachable marketing team can also teach you at some point because they are driven by the passion to learn new things even beyond what you’ve learned or know. You can ask your new team members to ask themselves this question: “What did I learn from my previous experiences in the field that I can apply for this new project?” and how far are they willing. Once you see the passion in their words, you would be able to differentiate between those who are just there for the money and those who want to grow with your company. Although for that to be successful you must know what to seek when employing a marketing team so you don’t employ the wrong team.
Tip: (Fancy certificate is not everything) Focus more on practical results.
2. Look At Their Portfolio
If you have the budget to hire a marketing team, you will definitely have the budget to hire a talented and experienced team with a good portfolio. The portfolio will show you how well they know the market, what kind of services and products they have worked on for similar projects with evidence, and find out how they can help your company get the target audience you need and attain the results you want.
By looking at their work, you will be able to tell how well they know the market, and what type of skills they have, that way you will be able to find a professional marketing team and know their abilities through their portfolio.
3. Employ Marketers Who Are Strategic And Tactical.
You need to find the balance between strategic marketers who plan for longer-range campaigns and tactile marketers who work on current ones, realizing that over time that balance will shift. When building a marketing team, you might want to find a tactical marketer who wants to be more strategic as well, but knowing how to plan for a longer-range campaign will help you better understand the market and what you’re trying to accomplish.
4. Hire A Team Of Generalists Who Can Do A Little Of Everything.
Hiring a team of generalists who can do a little of everything is a productive way to keep the business running in the absence of a team member due to a situation. They don’t need to be experts in every single field, but they should have a general understanding of everything that’s involved in marketing. You don’t want to hire only a team of specialists who can only do one thing but can do a little of everything. This way productivity and success are guaranteed.
5. Always Remember To Put The Company’s Culture In Mind When Employing New Team Members.
Every company/business has its own culture and there is no candidate worth losing your culture over. Don’t settle for candidates who aren’t willing to work on your company’s culture. It’s important to know what you are looking for in a candidate so that you don’t end up with the wrong type of people and end up having to deal with an unhappy team and a wasted opportunity.
6. Keep a Long-term Goals in Mind
Finally, while hiring marketers for your startup, focus on your long-term marketing goals. You need to have a checklist of things you want to achieve before you start the employment process so that the team can work accordingly. Remember, there is no such thing as a bad hire. In the end, the responsibility lies on your shoulders to take the team forward by continuously training to keep and upgrade their skills and knowledge about the business.
Qualities Of A Good Marketing Team
- Communication: Digital marketers seek to build a connection between brands and users. Understanding a brand’s target audience and knowing how to communicate with them in a convincing way is an essential skill they must have.
- Passion: You need to be sure that the marketing team you are hiring is passionate about your company and their area of specialization and this will be a starting point for the growth and success of your business because passion sparks in the fire of dedication and growth-driven attitude even when things are getting tough.
- Confidence: A good marketing team should be confident. Confidence is the foundation of professionalism. They need to show and talk about their confidence to the clients and other employees. This sends out a message that the company has value and once your prospective clients can smell this confidence they will beg to buy from you and not the other way round.
- Humility and Team Work: When a person is humble in nature they will be able to carry out whatever task you give them like it is their own and also corporate with colleagues to produce more effective results and promote team spirit.
There is nothing sweeter to a business owner than seeing results from the marketing team of the company due to good decisions made during the employment process and this is the major reason why finding the right marketing team for your business is very important for success of your business. Give us a call if you need help finding the right team for you and for further assistance contact us today. Don’t forget to subscribe to our mailing list for the latest updates.